IMPORTANT NOTICE TO OCI CARD HOLDERS
Applicants for OCI Cards may please note that due to the large number of applications being received, the processing time for issue of the Cards could be upto three months from the date of submission of the applications in the Embassy. In case applicants plan to travel to India within the three months period, they are advised to apply for an Indian visa for their visit and apply for the OCI Card upon their return from India.
OCI card holders travelling to India are advised to carry the Passport containing U Visa Sticker and OCI card to avoid problems at Immigration Check Points in India. In case a registered OCI cardholder has obtained a new passport, he/she should carry the passport containing U visa sticker, new passport and OCI card on all visits to India. Alternatively, Miscellaneous Services can be availed for transfer of U Visa Sticker to new passport for which the procedure is the same as for a new OCI Card application, including the time taken for the processing.
A foreign national, eligible to become a citizen of India on January 26, 1950 or was a citizen of India on, or at any time after, January 26, 1950 or belonged to a territory that became part of India after August 15, 1947 and his/her children and grandchildren, provided his/her country of citizenship allows dual citizenship under the local laws, is eligible for registration as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). Minor children of such person are also eligible for OCI. However, if the applicant had ever been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh, he/she will not be eligible for OCI.
Therefore, the applicant must satisfy the following criteria in order to be eligible to apply for OCI Status:
- If the applicant or one of the applicant's parents or one of the applicant's grandparents was a citizen of India after 26/01/1950.
- If the applicant or one of the applicant's parents or one of the applicant's grandparents belonged to a former territory (Goa, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Sikkim and Pondicherry) that became part of India after August 15, 1947.
- If the applicant or one of the applicant's parents or one of the applicant's grandparents was eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of commencement of the Constitution of India on January 26, 1950.
- Evidence of relationship with the applicant as parent/grandparent: If you are claiming OCI card on the basis of parent Indian origin then your birth certificate (where parents name is mentioned) is required, if you are claiming the same with your grand-parents' origin then you have to submit your birth certificate as well as your parents' birth certificate showing the parents names clearly so that it establishes the relation with your parents and grandparents.
A PIO card holder can substitute his PIO Card with the OCI card, provided he/she fulfils all the conditions set for acquiring OCI card. The holder would be required to surrender the PIO Card in that event. All PIO Card holders seeking to substitute PIO cards with the OCI facility must submit a copy of the PIO Card, copy of their foreign passport and three photographs alongwith the oci card application form and fees of €21 for adults and €122 for minors.
With OCI status, a foreign passport holder is entitled to the following:
- Multiple-entry, multi-purpose, life-long visa to visit India. The holder of the OCI Certificate would still need to carry his/her foreign passport, with a "U" Visa ("U" for Universal) sticker affixed on the foreign passport;
- Exemption from reporting to police authorities for any length of stay in India;
- Parity with NRIs (Non-Resident Indians) in financial, economic and educational fields EXCEPT in relation to acquisition of agricultural and plantation properties.
Please note that OCI is NOT Dual Citizenship. The Constitution of India does not permit the facility of holding Indian Citizenship simultaneously with a foreign citizenship. The OCI holder would therefore not be eligible for the following rights in India:
- Right to vote
- Right to hold constitutional office (i.e. parliament, courts, cabinet posts, etc.)
- Right to hold posts in the Government services.
Cancellation of OCI Registration:
The OCI Status is a privilege extended only to those persons who qualify for that privilege. The OCI Status accorded to a person can be revoked by Government of India in cases that warrant such action. For detailed information on the "Overseas Citizenship of India", visit the web site of the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India(www.mha.nic.in)
How to apply:
Fill up online application at
https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp after reading the details of the scheme, as above.
While filling up the OCI application online the surname and given name should be completely written as appearing in your foreign Passport.
However, applicants may ensure that they submit each application with related documents separately and not collectively for the whole family.
After doing so, a hard copy is required to be submitted to the Embassy. Please download the application registered by you on-line. (When you click print on it, the complete form with instructions for submitting the hard copy to the Embassy will be printed. Please fill in pages 2 & 3 by hand and submit them to the Embassy with the required enclosures. Applications for minors has to be signed by both parents as well as a indication of their consent to the minor's application. Each application should contain all the required documents listed above in one set (with seperate sets for each application, if more than one application for members of a family is submitted together).
OCI applications can be presented personally during consular hours on working days (0930 - 1200 hrs) at the Embassy or sent by registered post. Applications sent by post should be sent by registered mail only, along with a self-addressed Ireland Registered Post envelope duly stamped for registered mail.. The status of OCI application can be checked on line by typing your on line IRLDI registration number
- Copy of foreign passport (only personal particulars pages)
- Copy of Indian passport (only personal particulars pages)
- Copy of the document on the basis of which the OCI is sought (if it is on basis of Indian passport, then no other document is required). In case of minor children with only foreign passport, copy of OCI card of both or either parent should be submitted.
- Renunciation Form to be filled in for issue of a Renunciation of Indian Citizenship certificate. (Only for those applicants who have acquired foreign citizenship after 31 May 2010)
- Three Photographs. (Please do not staple the photograph on the application form but paste it as the photo will be digitally scanned and uploaded in the Embassy.)
- Prescribed fee in Postal Order/Bank Draft in favour of Embassy of India, Dublin.
- In the case of minors, both parents passport copies and OCI card copies
If the applicant has already renounced Indian citizenship, he/she should have one of the following as proof:
- A Certificate of Renunciation issued by any Indian Mission abroad or,
- An Indian Passport that contains a cancelled stamp.
Miscellaneous OCI service:
While filling the Miscellaneous Form Online, use the details as mentioned in the OCI card. This service can be availed for re-issuance/issuance of duplicate OCI documents in the following category of cases:
- In case of issuance of new passport:
OCI registration certificate and visa carries the passport number of the registered OCI. Accordingly, each time a new passport is issued to an OCI holder, it has to be captured on the registration certificate and visa. This would require re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa each time a new passport is issued.
- In case of change of personal particulars viz. name, nationality etc./Filing of wrong personal particulars while submitting online application:
In case of change of personal particulars/wrong filing of personal particulars while submitting online application, OCI holders may seek re-issuance of OCI documents by availing the services. They have to enclose the documentary evidence for the change of the personal particulars. Misc. Fee for €21 would be charged for the services. However, in case of change of photograph without the change of the passport, a personal interview shall be taken by the Competent Authority before the grant of the service.
- In case of Loss/damage of OCI registration certificate/visa:
In case of loss of OCI documents, a copy of the complaint filed with the Police authorities should be enclosed. Personal interview of the applicant shall be taken by the Competent Authority before the grant of the service.
- In case of mistakes committed by the Indian Mission/Post/Office while entering the personal particulars of manually filled applications (now discontinued):
Since the mistake is committed by the Indian Mission, no fee shall be charged for re-issuance of OCI documents.
- In case of change of address/occupation:
In case of change of address/occupation, new set of OCI documents will not be issued. The applicant may take a print out of the new address/occupation after online submission and keep for record purposes. No fee shall be charged from the applicant.
Procedure to be Followed by the Applicant: A software module has been developed by NIC named as OCI Miscellaneous Services. The public interface for this has been hosted on MHA's www.mha.nic.in . The procedure to be followed by the applicant is as under:
After accessing the OCI Miscellaneous Services and going through the Guidelines and Instructions for filing the application form, the applicant has to fill in at least one of the following data fields:
- U-Visa number
- OCI Registration number
- OCI File number
Thereafter, the applicant has to fill in all the following fields:
- Current Passport number
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Mother's name
The applicant would be able to go ahead and seek the particular service(s) only if, the above data (except (1) above) matches with the OCI database. This feature has been incorporated as a security measure so that the scheme is not misused.
The applicant, thereafter has to select any one or many of the following services:
- Change of Passport particulars
- Change of Personal particulars
- Loss/damage of OCI certificate/visa
- Change of Address/Occupation>
After selection of the service(s) to be availed, a Registration Form will appear having only the relevant fields, which need to be entered as per the services (s) sought. The applicant has to fill in all the relevant fields afresh online. The reasons for availing the services shall also be filled by the applicant.
Upon submission of the Registration Form, a hard copy of the application with Reference number along with the instructions for filling application form shall be printed. The applicant has to sign the application form, paste the photograph and append his signature in the box provided and submit one copy of the application form along with the relevant enclosures and fee as mentioned in the instructions. The application can be submitted to the Indian Mission in whose jurisdiction the applicant is ordinarily residing irrespective of the fact whether the same Indian Mission/Post/Office has issued the original OCI documents or not. Each applicant shall submit separate application form.
- Copy of OCI registration certificate
- In case of issuance of new passport, copy of U-visa pasted on the old passport.
- A copy of new passport.
- In case of loss of OCI Card or U-Visa sticker, copy of the complaint lodged with Police authorities and copy of visa and registration certificate to be enclosed.
- In case of change of personal particulars (due to change by the applicant or wrong filling of particulars by the applicant or Indian Mission/Office), copy of the document (s) relevant for affecting the requisite changes viz. Nationality Certificate in case of change of nationality etc to be enclosed.
- Four Photographs
* Minors (under 18s): Minor children of Indian nationals are not eligible for OCI;
Processing time: 2 Months and additional 10 working days may be required for processing postal OCI applications
|Sl.||Aquired Foreign Nationality||Renunciation Fee in Euros||OCI Fee in Euros||Total Fee in Euros|
|3.||On or After 01.6.2010||125/-||237/-||362/-|
|4.||PIO to OCI||23/-|
|5.||PIO (Minor) to OCI||124/-|
|6.||Issue of Duplicate OCI in lieu of lost/damage OCI card||87/-|
|7.||OCI Miscellaneous services||23/-|